Thursday, May 20, 2010

Music 101

I have been working on a couple posts, but can't seem to come up with a coherent though on anything. It being so long since I have made a post, I thought it would be good to just get something up on here. I had two idea's for a quick and easy post. First, was stealing an idea from my friend Erica's blog. She does a great series in her blog called "My Dearies". It is basically just letting people in her life know how important they are to her. I am sure that I will get to that at some point because believe you me, I've got some things to say about some people. However, I thought I would try to do something somewhat original, and thus I came up with 2) Music 101.

Music is one of the things that I love in life. I know that my first CD was either Dave Matthews Band: Under the Table and Dreaming or Blues Traveler: Hook. Before that I was busy listening to my dads music and thus have acquired, what many call an, "old soul" in music. He had me listening to The Cure, Neil Young, Billy Joel, and Santana among many others. One of my favorite songs to play on the guitar is Neil Young's "Needle and the Damage Done" because it was a song my dad always played. Given this love of music I have come over some pretty amazing things that a lot of people haven't heard about. In Music 101, I am going to do my darnedest to share what I have found with everyone who wants to listen. If anyone cares to share back with me, feel free because I always love listening to something new. On a side note I haven't quite figured out whether this is going to be an artist or album class yet, so bear with the inconsistency as it progresses.

To start out I'm going to inform everyone about The Ryan Montbleau Band. They are out of Boston and it is a mixture of a couple different styles. They would fall under the category of singer/songwriter but includes a lot of acoustics with influence of blues and jazz. Ryan Montbleau is a great guitarist with a great finger picking style.

I found out about them one night when I was doing very little in Lawrence, KS. A friend of mine told me to come see them play down at The Bottleneck because I would like them. Tickets were only 5 bucks so I said why not. It turned out to be one of the best shows I have seen. There were about 25 people there which made a very intimate setting. After I bought the CD's at the show everything kept growing on me. A few of the songs really hit me and helped me out with some rough times I had back then. Particularly the song "75 and sunny" of the album Patience on Friday. "Stretch" off of One Fine Color is another favorite.

"75 and sunny"

here is the link to the website


No comments:

Post a Comment